Saturday 25 June 2011

Sweden - WWGC2011 - Friday 24 June 2011

The forecast at briefing today was for 2-4 octas of cumulus with a cloud base of 1100m and a wind of 230 degrees, 12kts at flying altitude.  A Racing Task of 214km with multiple turning points was set for the Club Class. 

The sky looked great as we went into briefing, but as we came out, there was spreadout above the cumulus and the temperature had dropped.  We duly sat on the grid whilst the initial launch time of 11:30 went past, then 12:00 and as 12:30 approached, the British Team were dancing to ABBA on the front of the Standard Class grid to the merriment of the other pilots, as the Director called for a re-brief for the Team Captains at the front of the grid.  The new task had been reduced in size (and number of turning points) and was now a 123.9km triangle, start Delta to Ramnas, Spannarboda, FTPN and back to Arboga.  Launch was set for 13:00 and the Club Class was launched into a bleak looking sky spot on 13:00.

I was in the second row from the back of the grid for the Club Class and took a launch behind one of the Dynamics.  I soon found a weak thermal and climbed in amongst other gliders, but I eventually became fed up with the gaggle not being in the best place so left, to go to a cumulus that was developing in the Start Zone.  But here again after a few turns, there were so many gliders, we were not making best use of the lift, so I left and went to another good looking cumulus over the town centre.  I hit the lift with 2.2kts, the best climb of the day so far and the other gliders were rapidly joining me as the start line was to open in the next five minutes.  I re-centred and the lift turned into a solid 5 knot core, then 7kts and as I was hundreds of feet above the others, a call came over the radio ‘The Women’s World Gliding Championships Club Class is cancelled for the day, Club Class is cancelled for the day’, just as I hit 7.7kts in the thermal at 36000ft….I couldn’t believe it; the thermals were stronger and the cloud base was higher than the previous flying day when they sent us over the most unlandable area, and now they had cancelled a much better day!  I had no choice and had to go in and land because that’s what the rules state, so land I did. 

As Steve and I were readying the glider to tow off the grass strip, the Director then scrubbed the day for the Standard Class gliders too.  He had already cancelled the launch of the 15 metre class and their gliders remained on the runway.  Once all the classes had been scrubbed, two of the Standard Class gliders decided to go ahead with the set task, and they successfully completed it.  Needless to say, many of the competitors were not happy with the Director’s decision.

During the day, my back had started to go into spasm and I was having difficulty walking (don’t worry, this occurred before the dancing to ABBA, but that didn’t cure it).  Fran had found out that she had passed her Chiropractic exams the day before and did a wonderful job in re-aligning my spine again with some rather tortuous methods, but it did the trick and I was able to walk a bit more normally again.

In the evening, we were all invited to have drinks and some nibbles with the French Team.  After that we went back to the GB camp where we ate freshly baked banana cake, I played my guitar and the French came and joined us.  Ayala played some chords we sang crazy songs and generally had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment