Sunday 3 June 2012

Lasham Regionals - Sunday 3 June 2012

It rained and rained overnight, not heavy rain, but a steady drizzle, the type of rain that you walk in and become really wet without realising it!.

I climbed out of bed in the tent and spotted a puddle on the floor of the ground sheet in the external part, complete with Steve’s Blackberry phone sitting in the bottom of it.  I picked it up and it miserably dribbled water from the case; pretty much a lost cause. 

As Lasham were providing text information to the ‘first pilot’, which in this case was Steve, we called in at Lasham Control to report the problem and have the text service transferred to my phone.  The briefing was moved from 10:00 to 12:00 and we set off to Basingstoke in an effort to purchase a new phone.  In the meantime, the drying out of the phone by towel, blow heater etc. appeared to have worked and the phone temporarily returned to life, only to die again just as we were called to the 12:00 briefing.  We returned to Lasham just as the briefing was moved to 13:00.  So a further dash to Basingstoke in an attempt to purchase a new phone again.  Why so anxious to buy a new phone?  Well it’s so that Steve could call me directly should he land out in a field.  Not quite sure why he was so desperate; in the ‘good old days’, the mobile phones never existed and we used to have to firstly search for a house, then a house that was inhabited with a tenant that would let you use their phone to call base.  It was much more exciting in those days, you used to get special treatment from the farmers and householders with tea and cakes!

Anyway, second attempt to purchase a phone found us in a shop as I received a text message to say that the day was scrubbed.

Steve is now armed with a new (well second hand) phone that he’s going to have to learn how to use…

The weather was so rubbish today that I didn’t even bother to take a photo outside, I did however take one of Django chilling out inside the caravan.  Clearly he needs more walks……



A return back to home once more after picking up Django from the caravan yet again, enabled me to go out for a run of 5.47km (my new hobby) to get some ‘me time’ and hopefully to get me fit too.  I was pleased with my pace time as I hadn’t run for over a week due to work travel (this was the positive for today!).  Now all we can do is wait and see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment